Within the 4x4 Explorer there are five different map layers as follows:
- Premium Explorer Map - Hema’s complete topographic map with comprehensive on-road and off-road coverage plus complete Hema styling and attribution. This map has been built up over the last 30 years through Map Patrol field work. It's data is sourced directly from our mapping database that is used to create our printed maps (however incorporates all the latest updates). This is available as part of the app for online use. Offline use can be accessed via subscription ($49.99 per annum).
- Hema Explorer Map - Hema’s well regarded Hema Explorer Map (used in the HX-1 and Explorer App) is available for on-line use within the App.
- Hema Topo Maps - included for online use is eight topographic maps; GeoScience 250k, Hema Explorer Grey, NSW Topo, Qld Topo, SA Topp, TAS Topo, VIC Topo and WA Topo.
- OSM Onroad - simple map which has comprehensive on-road coverage provided by Open Street Map (OSM). This is available online and offline in the app. This and the satellite maps are the only map layers built on an OSM platform.
- Hema Touring Map - more detailed Hema map which has a combination of on-road and off-road coverage but reduced topographic features. The on-road coverage is provided by HERE and this is available online and offline in the app.
- Hema Print Maps - the Hema Iconic Series and Great Desert Tracks series of printed maps are available to use for both online and offline in the 4x4 Explorer App but must be purchased via the Map Subscriptions page ($49.99 per annum).
- Mapbox Satellite Map - Satellite coverage of Australia and is only available online and is included as part of the base App purchase. Note that Mapbox have recently done a major update of their satellite imagery (more details here).
- Mapbox Hybrid Satellite Map - Combination of Mapbox Satellite coverage of Australia combined with OSM road and locality data. This is only available online and is included as part of the base App purchase.